Total Pageviews

2024 - The Librarianist by Patrick deWitt

 

Time to Put Things on the Shelf



“I think he acquitted himself quite well.”

“Me too, pretty thoughtful, open,” I said as we drove away from the 2024 Leacock Medal “Meet the Authors” dinner.

My companion’s comment was significant.  A longtime member of the Leacock Associates, he wasn’t sure Patrick deWitt would show up let alone lead in the discussions that night.   My friend had thought the Oregon-based deWitt aloof and maybe unimpressed with  smalltown Canadian laurels.  But the author’s demeanor and words changed minds this night.

Destined to win the 2024 Leacock Medal that weekend, deWitt joined his fellow award nominees on the Friday evening in Orillia to eat ravioli and chew over the craft of humour writing.  A golf course banquet room provided the venue for the panel discussion as well as author readings and presentations to student award winners.  

DeWitt garnered my friend’s skepticism over a decade earlier when the author accepted the 2012 Leacock Medal for his book The Sisters Brothers with a few muffled words of thanks. At least that is how his acceptance speech is remembered.  DeWitt did add a few crumbs on the subject of creativity for those listening closely.  But his remarks were not much compared to the fulsome and funny speeches that had become customary and an expectation among the banquet attendees. 

This terse episode left many wondering whether the Canadian-born, long-time U.S. resident even cared about winning or whether he appreciated the intended honour.  For my part, I suspect the then early-career author was caught off guard and, in a way, shy at the time.  But on this mid-June evening in 2024, after a decade of accolades, interviews, and book events, the writer seemed at ease on the stage and in the spotlight.  He seemed anxious to interact with the audience and was first out of the gate when the panel of authors were invited to muse about amusing literature.

“Life is strange,” deWitt said explaining why any work that conveys the humanity of its characters might seem strange and why what we do in life is inherently funny. “I think if you live a life unmarked by weirdness, then you may well be doing something wrong.”

He suggested that his own tendency toward humorous writing might reflect his affection for his family which looked at the world through a skewed lens.  He stressed that all of his writing flows from an affinity for humanity and that he is always rooting for his fellow human beings.

Near the buffet table, I had a chance to talk to him and ask specific questions about his somewhat strange novel The Librarianist.   My questions came from my own skewed perspective, that of a non-fiction writer with creative ambitions. His book, which would win him that humour award twenty-four hours later, tells the story of Bob Comet, a book-loving retiree around my age.  So, I was intrigued by the premise and initially gave little thought to the style of its recounting.

The plodding protagonist is an introvert whose retirement routine is disrupted by a disoriented woman in the 7-eleven.  The encounter leads Bob into mild present-day adventures and meandering memories.  Some readers might find the story retired-librarian dull and even consider abandoning it in the early pages. But many critics and award juries praise its entirety as a moving character study and a masterwork of episodic writing. 

Slow and sad at times, but also weirdly funny and compelling.

Though I struggle to point to specific bits of humour, deWitt’s writing has a humorous effect that makes you care for the characters while amplifying the weirdness of their daily doings.

One deWitt technique features obvious repetitions as in  “… she’s worried you’re depressed.” “I’m not depressed at all.” “You don’t seem depressed. I think Jill is depressed.” “I think Jill is depression.” Other times the author would say what Bob is going to do, say that he did it, and then say that he had done.  It seems odd at first but works in the context of a story about an introvert with a repetitive, routine life.

So, when I had a chance to talk to Patrick deWitt, I asked why he decided to do this and how he knew it would be effective as a kind of poetry.

Seemingly flattered by the poetry notion, he said that he just tries different ways of writing exchanges or scenes, often five or six times, settling sometimes on the last attempt, sometimes on the first or third.  He made me feel that answering the question was worthy of a few minutes of his time and thanked me for reading his book.  As he walked away, I recalled how I do the same thing and thought it likely most writers, in their own way, do something similar.  You just keep trying and trying to express an idea until it feels right.  

My question did not seem all that insightful.

So, I was astonished when deWitt referenced our conversation in the panel discussion identifying me as “the gentleman,”  a label that reminded me of my age, the author’s respectful demeanor, the icon of the polite Canadian Everyman, and Bob Comet.

He was joined on stage by the other 2024 medal nominees, Deborah Willis (Girlfiend on Marsand Ali Bryan (Coq) as well as past Leacock medalists all of whom had their own contributions and thoughts on humour writing.  I noted that most eschewed too much research, something I rely on heavily to compensate for literary weakness.  

But they were split on whether they are haunted by  certain word choices in their past works.  Terry Fallis said he starts mentally editing his books immediately after publication and wishes he could change passages when recording audio versions.

DeWitt, on the other hand, says he almost never looks at one of his books after he puts it on the library shelf and chooses instead to focus on the future and the work at hand. 

I had to return to my Port Dover home the next morning and was not present to hear the evening announcement of the 2024 winner.  But I was told that the acceptance speech was, again, touching, thoughtful, open, and full of gratitude.  The U.S.-based author told the Orillia audience that he took the Leacock laurels as evidence of a special connection with Canada and Canadian audiences.

After the 2012 Leacock Medal banquet, many of the attendees may have had mixed feelings about Patrick deWitt as they drove away.  But I would guess most at the 2024 incarnation left liking the writer and the man.  

They probably felt that it was time to put those mixed feelings on the shelf and turn the page.


Writing Exercise

Write a short story about a period in your life that was dull but funny.


(June 2024)